In the Spotlight
We would like to CONGRATULATE KAREN ORTON for 35 YEARS of service. Karen works in the laundry department. Her anniversary was celebrated with a party, balloons, a gift card, and lunch. Karen says, ai???I take pride in seeing the residentai??i??s clothes get returned to them.ai??? The laundry department in a care center is vital. In addition to residentai??i??s laundry, they have to wash all bedding, kitchen, and dining room items.
INTERESTING FACTSai??i??First scrub board was in 1797. In 1851, the first drum machine was AMERICAN invented and was hand powered. The first ELECTRIC POWERED machine was built in 1908. Old washing machines came in PINK, BROWN, RED, BLUE to name a few. We took away Karenai??i??s washboard recently and made her use the brand new high tech industrial machine we just purchased.
Karen and her husband Frank have been married for 52 YEARS. They have lived in Danville for 40 years. They have 3 children and 12 grandchildren. Karen rides her bike to work. Sometimes Toto from the Wizard of Oz may be seen in the bikeai??i??s basket. The President of the company jumped on Karenai??i??s bike one day and took a spin.
THANKS VERY MUCH KARENai??i??FROM ALL OF US. HOW AMAZING!!!!!!
DANVILLE CARE CENTER IS A PROUD SPONSOR OF THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY & RELAY FOR LIFE IN DES MOINES COUNTY. TO FIND OUT HOW TO REDUCE YOUR RISK OF BREAST CANCER, CALL THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY at 1-800-227-2345.
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. While most people are aware of breast cancer, many forget to take the steps to have a plan to detect the disease in its early stages and encourage others to do the same. We have made a lot of progress but still have a long way to go.
We have all been touched by this or another form of cancer in our lives. Whether we ourselves are a survivor or we have watched family members, friends and co-workers battle this disease, we know of the devastating effects cancer and itai??i??s treatments can have.
Early detection is key to survival. Create an Early Detection Plan with family and friends and encourage other to do the same.
Trick or Treat
Danville Care Center was visited by more than 400 Trick or Treaters on Beggars Night. There was also a Haunted House where hot chocolate and cookies were served.
If youai??i??ve seen a Teal Pumpkin decorating a home, they are showing awareness of food allergies. Toys, pens, stickers, finger puppets, vampire fangs, spider rings, and whistles are among the items suggested by Food Allergy Research & Education as ai???treatsai???.
Letai??i??s all have a FUN and SAFE Halloween!
October 28, 2014: Ai??Danville Care Center hosted a Pancake Breakfast at Mt. Pleasant in the Hy-Vee dining room. There was an excellent turn out for the Senior Day event as Joan was there giving away pancakes to all comers. Did you stop and get your free pancake?
From the Activity Department
Maria Kaplar comes to Danville Care Center with a vast amount of experience as a previous Assistant Activity Director from Lewis County Nursing Home where she worked for 8 years. She has 25 years of experience in Activities. She is very excited to join our team and meet with all the residents and staff at the Danville Care Center.
Maria, along with her husband Robert, are both artists who studied at the University of Iowa. Robert is currently a professor at Southeastern Community College teaching Design and Art History. Through their love of art, they’ve traveled throughout Europe visiting many historical museums.
Maria is a WORLD TRAVELER and has been to London England, Paris France, Madrid and Barcelona Spain, Nelahozeves and Prague in the Czech Republic, Bastogne and Brussels in Belgium and also Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
In Mariaai??i??s spare time, she enjoys reading, painting, and watching the History Channel. She also enjoys listening to the residentsai??i?? life stories as many of them have been through historical moments throughout the 20th Century. Making a difference in their daily
lives is where she finds her most rewarding mornings.
Stop in sometime and meet our new Activity Director ai??i??she loves to meet with Families.
From the Nursing Department
WE ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THAT ONE OF OUR NURSES, LINDA HAMPTON from Burlington IA, WILL BE CELEBRATING HER 30 YEAR ANNIVERSARY IN 2015. Look for some special write-ups in the near future about Linda.
JUST A FEW NURSING FACTS
- The demand for nurses is expected to rise 35% in the 21st century.
- Nursing is one of the fastest growing occupations in the US.
- The New England Hospital for Women and Children, established in 1862, was the first school for nursing in the US.
- 45% of nurses expressed fear of getting a potentially deadly disease.
- According to a recent World Health Organization report, the UNITED STATES spends more money, as a ratio of GNP, on health care than any country, followed closely by Lebanon and Zimbabwe.
WHAT DO WE DO FOR YOU?
Registered Nurses at Danville Care Center:
- We develop patient treatment plans to help ensure that every patientai??i??s individual medical needs are met. We administer medications and give injections.
- We pay close attention to health conditions in order to see whether treatments are working or not.
- We supervise LPNai??i??s and C N Aai??i??s.
- We are responsible for a great deal of paperwork. We must record the patientai??i??s detailed medical information of the direct care we give such as taking vital signs, IV Therapy, Wound Care, and Tracheostomy Care.
- Job duties are not limited to the patient. We also offer support to family members and close friends of the patient.
WE LOVE TAKING CARE OF YOU!